No fail microwave rice, light and fluffy every time.
Fluffy Rice – perfect every time
How many times have you tried to cook rice in a saucepan on the stove, only to have it either burn on the bottom of the pan or come out over-cooked and stodgy?
When I lived in South Africa, there were many different types of rice, but there was only one brand that everyone used. Its catchphrase was ‘Cooks perfectly – every time’. It didn’t matter how you cooked it, it always delivered the goods.
When I came back to the UK I really missed that rice! No matter what I tried, I always ended up with a stodgy mess – in fact, I stopped eating rice for a while. I even considered getting my daughter who still lives in South Africa, to post some over to me.
Then I experimented with cooking rice in the microwave, and guess what? Perfect rice.
With my quick and easy microwave recipe, you will get perfectly cooked rice every time. There is no need to rinse the rice first either – so this is a real time-saver.
The rice comes out perfectly cooked with every grain fluffy and light.
Word of warning – for best results use good quality rice. You can use a supermarket ‘own’ brand – but I’ve found the supermarkets normally have 2 ‘own’ brands – a cheap one and a better quality, so go for the better quality, it’s worth it.
I have tested this recipe using Basmati rice, but it will work just as well for any long-grained rice.
How to cook No Fail Microwave Rice
The ratio of rice to water is 1 : 2 (ie 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of cold water)
You need a suitably-sized glass container with a snug fitting lid. I have a Pyrex dish that works perfectly.
Measure the rice into your container and add the water and salt.
Put the lid on the dish, place in the microwave and cook on full power for 8 minutes.
After 8 minutes take the rice out of the microwave and give it a stir. It should still be wet.
Replace it in the microwave and cook on full power for another 3 minutes.
Give it a stir with a fork – it should be light and fluffy with every grain separate.
Rice cooked in the Microwave
- 1/2 cup Rice I use Basmati
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Salt You can adjust this to your own taste
- Place the rice in a ceramic or glass bowl with a lid (See note 1)
- Add the cold water
- Add salt to taste
- Cover bowl with the lid and place in the microwave
- Microwave on high for 8 minutes
- Remove from microwave and stir.
- Replace bowl in microwave and microwave on high for 3 minutes longer or until the water has all been absorbed and the rice is dry. (See note 2)
- I use a pyrex dish with a lid, but you can use any glass or ceramic dish as long as the lid fits snugly. If the lid is loose the water will seep out during cooking and your rice won’t cook properly
- If all the water has been absorbed and the rice is not completely cooked you can add 1 or 2 Tablespoons of water, stir and cook for 1 minute longer.
- This recipe has been tested in a 900W microwave – different wattages of microwave may produce different results.
If this rice turned out well for you why not pin the recipe for later?
Why not give this a try next time you made one of these recipes:
- Leftover Roast Pork in Garlic Sauce
- Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken Sauce – this will be delicious served over rice rather than with pasta
- Lamb Curry in Pita – you could serve it over rice instead
Happy cooking – VJ xxx