Here’s a new idea for your next barbeque – Chicken and Bacon Skewers. Just roll up, skewer and grill. Perfect for those lazy summer days in the garden.
A barbeque always means a good time. Nothing beats sitting in the sun, drink in hand, watching someone else do the cooking!
What I do find about a barbeque though, is that it’s always the same old meat that gets served. Sausages and chops seeming to be the
Add some variety to your next BBQ with Chicken and Bacon Skewers
Here’s something a little different to spice up your next barbeque – chicken and bacon skewers. Succulent chicken breast, layered with bacon, tomato puree, and garlic, and rolled up on a skewer. They are quick to prepare, and because the meat is flattened out before being skewered, they are quick to cook too.
They go really well with my Rice Noodle Summer Salad and some crusty bread.
How to make them
Slice your chicken breasts into strips and flatten out evenly between 2 layers of clingfilm, with a rolling pin.
Mix the garlic and tomato puree and spread each chicken strip with a layer of the paste
Top each chicken strip with a slice of bacon. I find streaky bacon works best – you can cut each rasher into 2 pieces.
Roll up into pinwheels and insert onto skewers, being careful to make sure the skewer holds each pinwheel in shape.
|Layer the chicken and bacon||Roll and skewer|
I find that one skewer with 4 pinswheels is sufficient for one person, but it depends on the size of your chicken.
Grill the pinwheels on your barbeque and cook for approximately 10 minutes turning occasionally to make sure they cook evenly all round. The time it will take depends on how hot your barbeque is and how close to the coals the rack is. Just use your own discretion on this. If it is raining (as if it would!) you can pop these onto a baking tray in the oven at about 200C/400F and grill them there.
Can I freeze the Chicken and Bacon Skewers?
You can freeze the prepared raw chicken skewers for up to 3 months in your freezer. Let them defrost in the fridge before putting on the barbeque.
Chicken and Bacon Skewers
- 1 Chicken breast per person cut into strips and flattened between clingfilm
- 1 Bacon rashers (enough to top each chicken strip)
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato puree (more or less depending on how many chicken strips you have)
- 1 clove Garlic (Minced) (use 1 clove per tablespoon of puree)
- Salt to taste
- Bamboo skewers soaked in water
- Cut each chicken breast into long thin strips and flatten slightly between layers of clingfilm
- Sprinkle the chicken strips with salt to taste
- Mix the tomato puree and minced garlic together
- Spread each chicken strip with a little tomato/garlic mixture
- Top each chicken strip with a slice of bacon. See Note 1
- Roll up each chicken strip into a pinwheel and place it on a bamboo skewer. I make 4 per skewer. See Note 2
- Grill on the barbeque for approximately 10 minutes, turning often. See Note 3.
- The bacon should just cover the chicken strip. If the rashers are too big, cut to size with kitchen scissors.
- If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for a couple of hours before using so that they do not burn on the barbeque.
- You can also cook these in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes at 200C/400F, depending on the size of your pinwheels.
If you enjoyed this recipe, why not pin it for later.
Now that summer is on its way I’ll be sharing lots more barbeque and salad ideas with you. Let me know your