They say ‘life is too short to stuff a mushroom’. I say if you want to taste these delicious ham and cheese stuffed mushrooms with garlic butter then you need to find the time!!!
Ham and cheese stuffed mushrooms
Lovely meaty Portobello mushrooms, filled with a mixture of garlic butter, ham and onion and smothered with delicious melted cheese. Grill them on the barbeque or bake them in the oven and serve with a juicy steak and a pile of golden chips.
Whenever we had a barbeque in South Africa (which was often), we always made a plate of ham and cheese stuffed mushrooms to hand around as a starter. They were always a big hit.
Unfortunately, the UK weather doesn’t always co-operate, and as barbeques are not as much fun in the pouring rain, I compromise and bake these mushrooms in the oven instead.
Either way, they taste amazing. With melted cheese oozing over the ham and onion filling, and the garlic butter covering the inside of the mushrooms – how can you resist?
How to make ham and cheese stuffed mushrooms
Whenever I read a recipe I like to have a look at the ingredients to see whether I have everything I need. To make it easy for you – I’ve listed the ingredients below. You can get the full list of ingredients and quantities in the printable recipe card further down in the post.
- Large Portobello mushrooms – stalks removed and chopped
- Chopped ham – I use sandwish ham from the local deli
- Onion – very finely chopped, but don’t grate it as it oozes too much moisture
- Garlic – garlic and mushrooms are so good together
- Cheddar cheese – grated, for sprinkling over the top
- Butter – for frying the onions and garlic
- Salt (optional)
- The quantities of ham and onion are approximate only. You may need more or less depending on the size of your mushrooms.
- Please use your own judgement when making this dish. If your mushrooms are quite small then you will need less filling.
- This recipe allows for 1/2 cup of cooked filling per mushroom.
How to make ham and cheese stuffed mushrooms
The time to make these mushrooms is about 40 minutes, and includes making the filling, stuffing the mushrooms and baking in the oven.
Times for barbeque cooking will vary depending on how hot your fire is.
Prepare the mushrooms
- Peel the skin off the mushrooms and remove the stems.
- Chop the stems into small pieces – these make a delicious addition to the filling.
- Season each mushroom with a sprinkling of salt (this is optional).
Prepare the filling
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the chopped onions and garlic. Saute gently for a couple of minutes until the onions are translucent. Add the chopped mushroom stems and the ham and continue to fry on a very low heat, stirring continuously, until the onions are soft and the juice from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Spoon the filling into the mushrooms, making sure that each mushroom gets a share of the garlic butter that is in the filling.
Top with cheese
- Top each mushroom with grated cheese. I like to use a mixture of grated cheddar and mozzarella, but you can use whatever cheese you have handy.
Bake or Barbeque
To bake in the oven – place the mushrooms on a tray lined with baking parchment and bake at 180C / 375F for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
To barbeque – place the mushrooms on a baking tray and cover with tinfoil. Place on the grill at the side of the barbeque until the mushrooms are soft and the cheese has melted. Timing for this will depend on the heat of the barbeque fire – so keep your eye on them. Don’t place the mushrooms directly over the coals or they may burn.
You probably already have everything in your kitchen to make this dish. You will need
- Sharp knife – for cutting the ingredients
- Chopping board – to protect your counter top
- Small saucepan – for making the filling
- Baking sheet – for baking in the oven or on the barbeque grill
Did you know that you can get free delivery from Amazon on any item displaying the Prime logo. Join Amazon Prime today and save on your next purchase. They’ll deliver right to your door, the very next day. Or you can specify an ‘Amazon Day‘ and all your orders will arrive together on the same day.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. These are affiliate links which means I get a small commission (at no additional cost to you) if you click through and make a purchase.
Recipe – Ham and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
Ham and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 4 large Portobello Mushroom
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup ham (chopped into small blocks)
- 50 g butter (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cloves° garlic (finely minced)
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese (for topping)
- salt (optional)
- Peel the skins off the mushrooms and discard.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop into fine dice.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onions and garlic.
- Saute gently for a few minutes until the onions are translucent Do not allow the onions or garlic to brown.
- Add the mushrooms and ham and continue to fry until most of the moisture has evaporated from the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt.
- Spoon the filling onto the mushrooms. Make sure each mushroom gets a small amount of the garlic butter.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and arrange the mushrooms on the tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven (180°C / 375°F) for 15 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
The calorie count has been calculated using an on-line calculator and is provided for information purposes only. If the calorie count is important to you, you should consider calculating it yourself, using your preferred tool.
If you made this recipe and enjoyed it, please don’t forget to give me a star rating in the comments below. And if you’d like to get in touch, you can email me on [email protected] I’d love to hear from you.
If you love mushrooms you might also enjoy these other mushroom recipes:
Why not pin this recipe for later, or save it to your Yummly recipe box. And don’t forget to subscribe to my mailing list so you can grab your FREE COOKBOOK!