Noodle salad? Yes please! This Rice Noodle Summer Salad is filled with mushrooms, pickled gherkins, and german sausage. Perfect for serving as a side dish at a barbeque or with a slice of crusty bread for a delicious easy lunch.
This salad has been a long-time family favourite. I first tasted it in South Africa, back in the 1970s while on a visit to my sister-in-law. She was (and still is) an outstanding cook of note, and her meals were always something to look forward to. I remember sitting in her garden eating a bowl of this salad whilst everyone else was tucking into a full South African barbeque. No meat required – this is a meal in itself.
I’ve made it many times since, over the years. To be honest you can toss in whatever you like – a cup of frozen peas, finely chopped red peppers, a handful of pinenuts, and if I recall correctly, the original version had a tin of tuna mixed in.
I’m giving you the basic version here – what you do with it is up to you!
How do I make Rice Noodle Summer Salad
The basis of this salad is rice noodles. They look like rice but are made from pasta. I suppose if you can’t get hold of rice noodles you could use rice instead.
For a medium-sized salad – enough for 6 people as a side, or 2 to 3 as a main, use 1 rice dry noodles, cooked according to the package instructions. They swell up quite a lot on cooking.
Chop up 4 or 5 pickled gherkins (your favourite brand from a jar), a couple of german sausages and a handful of button mushrooms. The trick is to cut these to be approximately the size of the cooked rice noodle.
Once the noodles are cooked, drain them in a sieve and rinse under cold water to get rid of any excess starch, to prevent them from clumping together.
Mix in the chopped ingredients. Mix with enough mayonnaise to coat each noodle, and mix through a teaspoon or so of Sriracha sauce if you want to add a bit of a bite. (this is optional).
And there you have it, the perfect rice noodle summer salad. Feel free to experiment with your own choice of ingredients. Enjoy.
Back to top
Rice Noodle Summer Salad
- 1 cup Dry Rice Noodles cooked according to package instructions
- 4 or 5 small Gherkins (chopped)
- 2 small German sausages (bockwurst) chopped
- 6 – 8 small White Button Mushrooms (chopped)
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise (approximately)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce (optional) more or less to taste
- Salt to taste
- Cook the rice noodles in salted water according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Chop the gherkins, mushrooms and sausage into fine dice, approximately the size of a cooked rice noodle.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the rice noodles and nix
- Mix the siracha (if using) with the mayonnaise and add to the rice noodles. Mix thoroughly to combine
- Serve as a barbeque side dish, or with crusty bread and cherry tomatoes as a light lunch
- You can use any ingredients with the pasta. Perhaps swap out the gherkins for crunchy red peppers. Or exchange the sausage for a tin of flaked tuna. Add a handful of frozen peas for extra colour. The choice is yours.
- Just remember to chop all the ingredients you are using to be the same size as the rice noodles.
If you enjoyed this recipe why not pin it for future reference.
This makes a delicious side dish with Chicken and Bacon Skewers
If you enjoyed it please let me know in the comments.