The easiest ever Coconut Pie. Just mix all the ingredients together, pour into a pie dish and bake. It forms a delicious soft pastry base with a creamy custard filling and a crunchy coconut topping. Eat a slice by itself or top it with whipped cream or ice cream for extra indulgence.
- Ingredients – all the ingredients you will need
- Steps – step by step instructions
- Equipment – the equipment you will need to make this recipe
- Recipe – the printable recipe card
- Related Recipes – other recipes you may enjoy
Easy Coconut Pie
It’s been a hectic couple of weeks at Foodle Club. We had two family weddings in one week, with family and friends arriving from South Africa and Australia to join in the celebrations.
We had a houseful. 4 people sleeping over at our house and another 4 in nearby hotels because we didn’t have enough room. And everyone turning up at our house for meals. It was a huge task making sure everyone was fed and watered. But I loved it. It was the first time in nearly 14 years that myself and my three children had been together in one place.
Luckily my daughter from South Africa reminded me of this delicious coconut pie. This is ideal for large gatherings, because it is quite a large pie and it only takes 5 minutes to throw together. As it bakes it forms the most deliciously soft pastry base, with a creamy custard filling and a crunchy coconut topping. And it’s big enough for everyone to have a slice (or two slices because it tastes so good).
I’ve tried to capture the layers in the following photo. You should be able to make out the pastry layer at the bottom, with the custard filling sitting above it, with the crunchy coconut layer on top.
How to make an easy Coconut Pie
You will need the following ingredients:
- Eggs – you need 4 large eggs. If you don’t have large eggs, medium will do.
- Sugar – 1 cup white sugar. You can cut this down to 3/4 cup if you want a dessert that is less sweet.
- Flour – 1/2 cup. Use plain flour, not self-raising. This recipe does not need any baking powder.
- Milk – 2 cups – I used full fat, but you can use semi-skimmed if you like.
- Butter – 1/2 cup. Melt it in the microwave first, and let it cool down a bit before using. Don’t add hot melted butter to the mixture or you stand a chance of cooking the eggs.
- Coconut – 1 cup. Use sweetened desiccated coconut from a packet from the supermarket.
- Vanilla extract or essence – this is optional but adds a nice flavour.
Sift the flour into a bowl and then add the rest of the ingredients.
Give it a quick mix to combine. The mixture will be very loose and runny but don’t worry this is perfectly normal. As the pie cooks, a pastry base will form at the bottom with a custard layer above that and a crunchy coconut layer on top.
Pour into a greased 12″ pie dish and place in a pre-heated oven (350F / 175F) for 1 hour.
Keep your eye on it towards the end of the cooking time. The pie will be cooked when it feels firm to the touch and no longer ‘jiggles’. The top will be golden brown.
You may find that the pie cracks on top as it cooks. Don’t worry – as the pie cools and settles the cracks will sink back together. You can sprinkle icing sugar on the top to disguise any remaining cracks.
You will need the following equipment to make this recipe.
- Mixing bowl – you need quite a large one for mixing all the ingredients
- 12″ Pie Plate – I like to use a ceramic dish rather than metal because it looks prettier if you serve the pie directly from the dish.
- Spatula – this silicone spatula will not scratch your mixing bowl
Join Amazon Prime and get free delivery on all items displaying the Prime logo
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. These are affiliate links which means I get a small commission (at no additional cost to you) if you click through and make a purchase.
Recipe – Easy Coconut Pie
Easy Coconut Pie
- ½ cup plain all purpose flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter melted
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well to combine.
- Pour into a greased 12" baking dish.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the baking dish.
The calorie count has been calculated using an on-line calculator and is provided for information purposes only. If the calorie count is important to you, you should consider calculating it yourself, using your preferred tool.
If you made this recipe and enjoyed it, please rate it in the comments below. I’d love to know how it went.
If you enjoy baking I have lots of other recipes on my baking recipes page.
These are my particular favourites:
Why not pin this recipe for later, or save it to your Yummly recipe box. And don’t forget to subscribe to my mailing list so you can grab your FREE COOKBOOK!