This chilli tomato sauce is soooooooooooo good and so versatile. It goes well with anything, especially my Boerewors Patties.
I use this Chilli Tomato Sauce as a base when I make my Chilli Fish or add it to my pasta and mince bake for an extra kick. In South Africa, it is served as a side dish at barbeque alongside your meat and salads.
How to make Chilli Tomato Sauce
With only 2 main ingredients it couldn’t be simpler to make.
Just chop up your tomatoes and onions into a chunky dice
Sweat the onions gently in a little olive oil and then the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Now add the rest of the ingredients and allow to simmer until thick and glossy.
You will need to simmer it slowly with the lid on until the onions and tomatoes are cooked, and then remove the lid and let it simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated and the tomato sauce is thick and glossy – but I’m sure you’ll agree, once you’ve tasted it – that it is worth the wait!
The quantities for the flavouring ingredients are based on the recipe using 6 medium tomatoes and 6 medium onions, but you can adjust these according to how many tomatoes and onions you are using – just add more or less to taste.
I like to chop my tomatoes and onions quite coarsely as I like a chunky texture, but you can make a smoother chilli tomato sauce by chopping them in a blender. The cooking time and the ingredients remain the same.
Chilli Tomato Sauce
- 6 large tomatoes - coarsely chopped
- 6 medium onions - coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 tspn chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the tomatoes and onions
- Sweat the onions in the olive oil for a couple of minutes and then add the tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes until everything has turned into a lovely mushy sauce
- Now remove the lid and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick and glossy - approximately another 20 minutes