Juicy spicy meatballs with chilli sauce – laden with mushrooms – goes well served either on a bed of spaghetti or a bowl of fluffy white rice
The ultimate mid-week supper – spicy meatballs with chilli sauce. Super quick to make, especially if you have at batch of my Chilli Tomato Sauce in the freezer. The meatballs are baked in the oven too – so less oil equals healthier!
How to make spicy meatballs
I use equal quantities of pork and beef mince. I find pork mince adds extra flavour to the meatballs and makes them softer and more juicy.
Just mix the pork and beef together in a mixing bowl and add 1 egg and 2 slices of bread which have been soaked in milk and squeezed out. Then grate in one large onion and add all the seasoning ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and mix all together thoroughly.
Form into golf-ball sized balls and bake in the oven for half-an-hour.
Defrost a portion of my Chilli Tomato Sauce and add one cup of button mushrooms. Simmer the sauce, uncovered, until the mushrooms are cooked and then pour the sauce over the meatballs, arranged on a bed of rice or pasta.
And there you have it – the easiest and quickest mid-week dinner.
Can I freeze the meatballs with chilli sauce?
These meatballs freeze very well, either cooked or uncooked. Just arrange them, untouching, in a suitable container, and they will keep in the freezer, uncooked for up to 3 months, or cooked for up to 1 month.
I would let these defrost in the fridge, or you can defrost them in the microwave if you are in a hurry. Then you can just cook them according to the recipe.
If you want to cook these from frozen you will have to add about 5 minutes extra onto the cooking time.
Make miniature meatballs for a quick party snack
If you are looking for a quick party snack, you could make marble-sized meatballs. Stick them onto cocktail sticks and serve with a bowl of Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce (Nam Chim Kai) for dipping. This recipe should be sufficient for about 40 miniature meatballs.
- 250 g Minced Beef
- 250 g Minced Pork
- 1 large Egg
- 2 slices White Bread Soaked in milk and squeezed out
- 1 large Onion Grated
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes or to your own taste
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil for baking the meatballs
- Combine the pork and beef mince together in a mixing bowl
- Add the egg and the squeezed out bread
- Grate in the onion
- Add remaining ingredients (except the olive oil) and mix well
- Form into golf-ball sized balls
- Pour the olive oil into a baking tray and arrange the meat balls in a single layer
- Bake in a hot oven 200°C / 400°F until golden brown and cooked through
If you enjoyed these meatballs, why not pin the recipe for later?