This recipe for creamy garlic chicken mushroom sauce was invented by my daughter when her boys were small, as a way of getting them to eat mushrooms.
It’s super simple to throw together and can be on the table in half an hour, making it an ideal mid-week supper. We like to serve it over tagliatelli, but you could use any pasta. It is equally delicious served over a bed of fluffy rice.
You can use any type of mushroom for this recipe, but I like to use either button mushrooms or chestnut mushrooms. I find that the darker open Portobello mushrooms tend to make the sauce turn a darker colour.
Only 2 main ingredients
The two main ingredients in this creamy garlic chicken mushroom sauce are chicken and mushrooms. The mushrooms are finely chopped in a food processor and then sweated in a pan with the garlic until the moisture has evaporated.Mushrooms finely chopped in a food processor
The chicken is marinaded in cornflour and soy sauce whilst the mushrooms are cooking and then fried in a mixture of little olive oil and butter until golden brown.Chicken fried until golden brown
Then everything is mixed together with the milk and cornflour and simmered for 20 minutes until thickened.Thick and creamy sauce oozing with mushrooms
Finally, the cream is added and the creamy garlic chicken mushroom sauce is ready to be spooned over your pasta of choice.
Mushrooms are packed with nutritional value. They’re low in calories, are great sources of fibre and protein. They also provide many important nutrients, including B vitamins, selenium, potassium, copper, and (particularly when exposed to the sun) vitamin D. They have the additional benefit of being fat and cholesterol free.
Can I freeze this?
Yes, the sauce freezes well, but you may find that it splits when defrosted. If this happens just stir in a small amount of cornflour mixed with milk and simmer gently for a few minutes. It should come back together nicely.
Creamy Garlic Mushroom Chicken Sauce
- 4 large chicken breasts cubed
- 25 ml soy sauce
- 12.5 ml cornflour
- 250 g mushrooms finely chopped
- 125 ml cream
- 400 ml milk
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- Olive Oil and a knob of butter for frying
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Mix the chicken with the soy sauce and cornflour and set aside to marinade
- Finely chop the mushrooms in a food processor
- Put the mushrooms with the garlic into a frying pan with a little olive oil and fry gently until the moisture has evaporated.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the pan with a little more olive oil and a knob of butter and fry gently until golden brown
- Add the mushrooms back into the chicken and add the milk.
- Stir gently to combine and then simmer for approximately 20 minutes until thickened.
- Add the cream and stir through.
- If the sauce is too thin mix a small amount of cornflour with some milk and gradually add to the sauce, simmering and stirring until the desired consistency is obtained. Do not allow to boil.
- Season with salt to taste
- Serve over your pasta of choice, and sprinkle with ground black pepper
You might also like to try some of my other easy suppers:
If you made this and enjoyed it why not pin it for later and let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
Til next time – happy cooking – VJ xxx