Have you ever thought how easy it is to make homemade waffles? Crispy on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside. Add some grated potato and onion for instant hash browns; or mix in mashed bananas for a sweet treat. Follow my ultimate guide to the perfect waffles and make some today.
- Sweet waffles – sweet ideas to try
- Savoury waffles – savoury ways with waffles
- Ingredients – ingredients you will need
- Steps – how to make the waffles
- FAQ – your questions answered
- Equipment – equipment you will need
- Video – watch how to make waffles
- Recipe – link to the printable recipe card
- Related Recipes – other recipes you might enjoy
Whenever you think of waffles, the first thought that springs to mind is ‘top them with ice cream’. But there is so much more that you can do with them.
I’ve come up with some ideas for both sweet and savoury waffles that will have you dusting off your waffle maker to try them out.
Waffles are delicious served either sweet or savoury – the choice is yours. You are limited only by your imagination.
Here are some of my suggestions to get you started.
- Mix 1 cut of well-mashed ripe banana into the basic mix. Top with ice cream and maple syrup.
- Add 1 cup of apple puree or mashed tinned apples to the basic mixture and sprinkle the warm waffles with a little cinnamon sugar.
- Boil fresh seasonal berries in a little sugar to make a jam and spread on the cooked waffles
- Drizzle with honey or chocolate fudge sauce
- And of course, let’s not forget the obligatory ice cream and maple syrup.
If you are making savoury waffles you should omit the sugar from the basic recipe.
- Top with a fried egg and a rasher of bacon and plenty of black pepper.
- Mix 100g grated cheese into the basic mixture and serve with a slice of ham
- Add 1 cup of grated potato and 1/2 cup grated onion to the basic mixture for quick and easy hash-browns.
- For instant Chinese spring onion pancakes, add 1 cup finely chopped green spring onions (scallions) to the basic batter. Serve with a soy dipping sauce.
How to make the perfect waffles
Here is my ultimate guide to the perfect waffles.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 250g (2 cups) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 75g (3 Tablespoons) Sugar (for sweet waffles only)
- 2 cups (1pint) milk
- 125g melted butter
- 2 Eggs
- Additional ingredients of your choice (if using)
Steps to make the perfect Waffle
Mix the dry ingredients
Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the baking powder, salt and sugar. Whisk briefly to combine.
Mix in the wet ingredients
Add the milk and eggs to the flour and whisk well to remove any lumps.
Add melted butter
Heat the butter in the microwave (or a small saucepan) until just melted. Allow to cool slightly then pour into the mixture.
Mix well to combine.
Add any additional ingredients (if required)
This is the step that you would add the additional ingredients, ie bananas, for sweet waffles, or potato and onion for hash browns.
Make the waffles
Pour a small amount of batter onto a waffle maker.
The waffle maker should be hot and you should hear a sizzle when you add the batter. Take care not to add too much batter. The batter expands on heating and it will overflow down the side of the waffle maker if you add too much batter.
My waffle maker does not stick so I do not use any oil. You may want to spray yours with a little cooking spray to prevent the waffles from sticking.
Allow the waffles to cook
Close the waffle maker and allow the waffle to cook through.
Try to resist the temptation to open the waffle maker too soon. The batter will stick to the top and bottom plates if you open it too quickly, and tear the waffle in half. Try to leave it for at least 90 seconds and then open very slowly. The waffle will be done when the waffle maker opens without sticking.
It the waffle is not crispy enough, leave it in the waffle maker for a few seconds longer.
Cool on a wire rack
Remove the cooked waffle and place it on a cake rack to cool. Don’t stack hot waffles one on top of the other or the steam will cause them to soften.
These waffles are best eaten fresh, but you can freeze them in a Ziploc bag in your freezer.
To use, let them defrost in the fridge. You can heat them in a hot oven for a couple of minutes if you want to eat them warm.
They won’t be as crispy as freshly-made waffles though.
Yes, if you want to make a double batch just double up all the ingredients
To make waffles you will need the following equipment:
- Waffle maker – with a non-stick coating
- Mixing bowl – these mixing bowls have a lip for easy pouring
- Whisk or handmixer
Join Amazon Prime and get free delivery on all items displaying the Prime logo
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. These are affiliate links which means I get a small commission (at no additional cost to you) if you click through and make a purchase.
Watch how to make Waffles
Recipe – Homemade Waffles
- 250 g (2 cups) Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder (level)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 75 g (3 Tablespoons) Sugar
- 2 cups (1 pint) Milk
- 2 large Eggs
- 125 g Butter (melted)
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar) together in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave and allow to cool.
- Pour 2 cups of milk into the flour mixture, add the eggs and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Add the melted butter to the milk and flour and whisk together to combine.
- Put a small amount of mixture into a pre-heated waffle maker and allow to cook until golden brown.
- Remove from waffle maker and place on a cake rack to cool.
- Makes 10 waffles
If you made this recipe and enjoyed it, please rate it in the comments below. I’d love to know how it went.
Try adding a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes to the basic batter and dunking the waffles in Peri Peri Chicken Livers.
Or perhaps you might like to make some cheesy garlic waffles by adding a cup of cheese and a teaspoon of garlic paste and serving the waffles with Chicken and Bacon Skewers.
Why not pin this recipe for later, or save it to your Yummly recipe box. And don’t forget to subscribe to my mailing list so you can grab your FREE COOKBOOK!