Indulge your taste buds with these delicious puff pastry asparagus and ham wraps. With minimum prep, 5 ingredients and only 25 minutes of cooking time, you can whip up a bunch of these delicious delicacies in next to no time.
**As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.**
An assemble-and-bake recipe
These cheesy ham and asparagus bundles take no time at all to prepare. There's absolutely no pre-cooking of anything (not even the asparagus). Just assemble and bake for the most delicious and easiest party snacks, lunchtime treats or a special dinner party starter.
The puff pastry is buttery and flaky with a light and crispy texture. The garlic and herb cream cheese adds a tangy element with the garlic providing a subtle savoury flavour. The ham adds a salty and smoky note to the dish and is the perfect foil for the fresh and slightly crunchy texture of the asparagus. Finally, the grated cheese, which melts during baking, creates an overall layer of gooey cheesy goodness.
The ham and asparagus wraps are quite large, with the asparagus fitting diagonally across the pastry. This is the perfect size for a starter or a light lunch. However, if you would like to serve the wraps as canapes, I would recommend cutting the pastry into smaller-sized squares and cutting the ham and asparagus in half before assembling.
You wouldn't believe that something that tastes as decadent as these ham and cheese asparagus bundles would be so easy to make. But you have to believe it! If you can unroll a roll of puff pastry then you can make these puff pastry asparagus and ham wraps yourself in no time at all.
Let me show you:
What you will need
If you bought a block of cheese rather than grated cheese, you will also need a cheese grater.
You will only need 5 main ingredients (or 7 ingredients if you count the egg and sesame seeds for finishing) to make these puff pastry asparagus and ham wraps.
The recipe as given makes 6 wraps, but you can easily adjust it to make as many as you want by simply doubling up the ingredients.
**You can get the complete list of ingredients and full instructions for making these ham and asparagus bundles on the printable recipe card at the end of this post**
Puff pastry - shop-bought obviously - this is meant to be a quick and easy recipe. However, if you really want to make your own puff pastry you can get the instructions from my mate Chloe's homemade puff pastry recipe. If you are using shop-bought puff pastry, allow it to come to room temperature before unrolling so that it doesn't crack. Don't let it sit on the counter for too long though as the longer it sits the softer it will become and consequently be more difficult to work with.
Ham - I used my local supermarket's own-brand sandwich ham because it's the right shape for the wraps. You could also be fancy and use prosciutto or even serrano ham if you prefer.
Cream cheese - I found these little individual portions of cream cheese flavoured with garlic and herbs. One square is sufficient for 2 wraps. If you use a tub of cream cheese you will need approximately 1 teaspoon per wrap.
Asparagus - this must be fresh asparagus - canned asparagus will taste good, but it will be very mushy once baked.
Grated cheese - this is just plain everyday mature cheddar, but you could use any cheese that grates easily and melts nicely.
Egg - this is used to seal the edges of the wraps so that they hold together, and is also brushed on the top of the pastry to encourage browning.
Sesame seeds (not pictured) - these are optional - I like to sprinkle a few on top of the pastry because they look pretty!
What to do
All you have to do is assemble the asparagus and ham wraps and then bake them in the oven for 25 minutes. Here you go -
The ends of the asparagus spears can be quite woody and unappetising. Bend the bottom of the stem and the woody end will snap off easily. Don't throw the ends away, you can add them to soups and stews.
Roll out the puff pastry and cut into 6 roughly evenly-sized squares.
Spread one teaspoon of cream cheese diagonally across each square of pastry.
Place one slice of ham (folded in half) on top of the cheese.
Place three pieces of asparagus inside each slice of ham. Arrange the asparagus with two tips pointing in one direction and the third one in the opposite direction.
Sprinkle each piece of ham with a little grated cheese.
Brush the corners of the pastry with beaten egg.
Fold the corners of the pastry over the ham and asparagus. Brush the exposed pastry with beaten egg and optionally sprinkle with a few sesame seeds.
Transfer the pastries to a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. If you don't have baking parchment you can brush the baking sheet with a few drops of oil first to prevent sticking.
Bake in a preheated oven (200C/400F) for 25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
If you'd like to be notified of any new recipes, why not subscribe to my newsletter? As a thank-you gift, you will receive a free recipe e-book containing some of my most popular cakes and desserts.
Puff pastry asparagus and ham wrap FAQs
I wouldn't freeze the unbaked wraps as the moisture from the asparagus may affect the texture of the pastry once thawed. However, you can freeze the baked ham and asparagus wraps and freeze them in an air-tight container for 2 to 3 weeks. To reheat, place them on a baking sheet in a hot oven for about 5 minutes. Don't reheat them in the microwave as the pastry will become soggy.
Yes, you can assemble these up to 24 hours before baking. Cover the assembled pastries with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, simply egg wash them and bake as per the recipe instructions.
These wraps are best eaten fresh on the day, however, you can store them in a covered container in the refrigerator overnight and reheat them for a few minutes in a hot oven. You can also enjoy them at room temperature.
Save for later
If you would like to make these puff pastry asparagus and ham rolls yourself, why not save the recipe to one of your Pinterest boards so you can find it easily? Just click on the image below.
Alternatively, you can save the recipe by clicking on the floating heart icon on the right-hand side of the screen.
If you enjoyed this recipe, here are a few other recipes for easy starters that you may like to try:
- Chicken livers in a creamy red pepper sauce - tasty chicken livers, pan-fried in butter and smothered in a rich and creamy sauce made from roasted red peppers, onions and cream.
- Mushroom galette with cheese - a delectable blend of cream cheese, caramelized onions and mushrooms, encased in a soft and flaky pastry.
- Poor man's crayfish - a simple dish made with a can of tuna mixed into a tasty Marie Rose sauce and garnished with shrimps.
- Meatball wellingtons with marinara sauce - tasty meatballs wrapped in puff pastry, served on a bed of tangy marinara sauce.
- Crustless courgette and tomato puffs - delicious crustless mini quiches stuffed with courgettes and tomatoes.
Puff pastry asparagus and ham wraps with cheese
(Click the stars to rate this recipe)
- 11 ounces / 320 grams roll puff pastry
- 6 slices sandwich ham
- 6 teaspoons garlic and herb cream cheese
- 18 asparagus spears
- ¼ cup / 30 grams cheddar cheese grated
- 1 small egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds optional
- Snap off the bottom end of the asparagus spears.18 asparagus spears
- Unroll the puff pastry and cut it into 6 roughly evenly-sized squares. If you have a block of puff pastry you should roll it out approximately ⅛-inch in thickness (or about the thickness of a one-pound coin).11 ounces / 320 grams roll puff pastry
- Spread one teaspoon of cream cheese diagonally across each square of pastry.6 teaspoons garlic and herb cream cheese
- Place one slice of ham (folded in half) on each of the cheese-covered pastry.6 slices sandwich ham
- Place three pieces of asparagus inside each slice of ham. Arrange the asparagus with two tips pointing in one direction and the third one in the opposite direction.
- Sprinkle each piece of ham with a little grated cheese.¼ cup / 30 grams cheddar cheese
- Brush the corners of the pastry with beaten egg.1 small egg
- Fold the corners of the pastry over the ham and asparagus. Brush the exposed pastry with beaten egg and optionally sprinkle with a few sesame seeds.1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Transfer the pastries to a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. If you don't have baking parchment you can brush the baking sheet with a few drops of oil first to prevent sticking.
- Bake in a preheated oven (200C/400F) for 25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
I am not a nutritionist. The nutrition information has been calculated using an on-line calculator, and is intended for information and guidance purposes only. If the nutrition information is important to you, you should consider calculating it yourself, using your preferred tool.