Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce (Nam Chim Kai)
Homemade Thai inspired sweet chilli sauce
Prep Time5 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 1 small bottle
Bottle for storage
- ½ cup (150 ml) White Wine Vinegar You could also use rice vinegar or plain white vinegar
- ½ cup (150 ml) Brown Sugar
- ½ cup (150 ml) water
- 3 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Wine or substitute with Sherry
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced) I substitute with 1 teaspoon shop-bought bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Flakes This will make it quite hot - adjust according to your own taste
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice This is optional but I like to add it
Measure all of the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil
When it starts boiling, turn the heat down and let it simmer for 20 - 25 minutes until it starts to thicken
Allow to cool. It will become thicker as it cools
Pour into a sterilised glass jar and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
To sterilise a jar -
The calorie count has been calculated on approximately 1 tablespoon of sauce.
- Wash the jar in hot soapy water, rinse and place it in the microwave whilst still wet.
- Microwave on full power for 45 seconds.
- You can't do the metal lid in the microwave, so for the lids just wash with the jar and then place the metal lid in a saucepan of boiling water and allow to boil for a couple of minutes.
- Leave to cool.