Seeded Irish Soda Bread with Buttermilk
A quick and easy bread with no yeast. Crammed with delicious seeds - ready to eat in under an hour.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 1 medium sized loaf
- 200 g Wholewheat flour
- 200 g Plain flour
- 25 g Pumpkin Seeds
- 25 g Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Linseeds (flax seeds)
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 ml (1 pint) Buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon Black Treacle
- 1 Tablespoon Sunflower oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
Measure the wholewheat flour into a large mixing bowl
Sift in the plain flour
Add the seeds , the bicarbonate of soda, the sugar and the salt and stir together.
Make a well in the centre and add the buttemilk, treacle and sunflower oil.
Mix well to combine
Pour into greased 8" x 4" loaf tin
Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon pumpkin seeds
Place in the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, or the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
Remove from the oven.
Serve warm with butter. Or serve with your favourite soup or stew.
The mixed batter should be a soft dropping consistency. If it is too thick you can add a splash of milk to thin it down.
If you don't have buttermilk you can substitute with one of the following:
The calories have been calculated for 1 slice of bread, assuming the loaf yields 12 slices.
- 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice mixed with 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 and 3/4 teaspoons of cream of tartar mixed with 1 cup of milk