Crispy Orange Chicken
Tender chunks of chicken thighs covered with crispy panko breadcrumbs and smothered in tangy orange sauce
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 people
For the chicken
- 600 g Boneless chicken thighs (for larger appetites use 800g)
- Salt to taste
For the chicken coating
- 1/2 cup cornflour approximately
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs approximatey
For the orange sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice approximately 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar light or dark
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 Tablespoons erwa
- 1 teaspoon groundnut or equivalent neutral flavoured oil
Prepare and coat the chicken
Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F
Rinse the chicken under cold water and pat dry
Cut into bite-sized chunks
Sprnikle with salt to taste
Dip each chicken piece in cornflour then dip in egg and finally into panko breadcrumbs
Place on a foil or baking parchment lined baking tray
Place into pre-heated oven and bake for 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the crumbs are golden
For the orange sauce
Place all ingredients except cornflour and water into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes
Mix the cornflour and water to a smooth paste and drizzle slowly into the sauce to thicken. Stir continuously and allow to simmer for another minute.
For 4 people you will need between 600g and 800g chicken, depending on your family's appetite.
To coat chicken without getting your fingers too messed up:
When thickening the sauce, don't put all the cornflour mixture in at once, you may not need it all. Stir it in gradually until the desired consistency is reached. The sauce should be a pourable consistency.
- Coat all the chicken with cornfour first - then rinse and dry your hands.
- Now take one hand and take a piece of cornflour coated chicken, and dip it in the egg. Place into the breadcrumbs.
- Take the other hand and coat the chicken in breadcrumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat until all the chicken has been coated with egg and breadcrumbs.