Crustless Vegetable Quiche
Vegetable quiche with zucchini, potatoes, carrots, onions and mushrooms
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Servings: 1 large quiche
- 1 cup Onion (chopped) approximately 1 medium onion
- 1 cup Potato (grated) approximatey 1 large potato
- 2 medium Zucchini (baby marrow) sliced into thin rings
- 1 medium Carrot (grated)
- 10 Green beans chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 1 cup Button mushrooms halved or quartered depending on size
- ⅓ cup (100 ml) single cream
- 3 medium Eggs (lightly beaten into cream)
- Milk (to add to cream and eggs to make 1 cup
- 2 heaped Tablespoons Flour (50 g) mixed into egg and cream mixture
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ cup (approximately) Grated Cheese to sprinkle
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F
LIghtly saute the onion and potato in the olive oil until the onion is translucent and the water from the potatoes has evapourated (3 to 4 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
Add the grated carrot and beans and stirfry for 2 minute more
Add the Zucchini and mushrooms and fry for 1 minute more
Allow the vegetables to cool and then arrange in a suitably sized pie dish
Whisk the eggs into the cream and add sufficient milk to make up 1 cup of liquid.
Whisk the flour into the egg and cream mixture
Season to taste with salt and pepper
Pour the egg and cream mixture over the vegetables
Sprinkle with grated cheese
Place in pre-heated oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes until the egg mixture has set and the cheese is melted and golden
Remove from the oven and serve hot with your favourite roast, or serve cold for a quick and easy lunch.
The vegetables should be par-cooked to give them a head-start in the cooking proess to ensure they cook completely which the quiche is in the oven.
The cream, egg and milk mixture should measure 250 ml in total. Add the cream first, then add the eggs and finally top up with milk to make 250 ml in volume.
Calories have been based on cutting the quiche into 8 slices.