Do you have a recipe that shows the measurement in grams, but you only have a set of measuring cups? No problem. Just use this handy cookery conversion calculator to easily convert your recipes from grams to cups, or any other measurement
Cookery Conversion Calculator
Use this handy conversion calculator to convert the recipe ingredients into your preferred measurement.
| Amount to convert |
(enter a number)
We all know how frustrating it is to be half-way through a recipe, and not have the correct measurements. I think the most common conversion is from grams to cups, and vice versa, as we convert between US and English recipes.
To make it easier or you, I've put together a handy calculator that allows you to convert ingredients between grams, cups, ounces, millilitres and tablespoons.
How to use the calculator
The calculator is very easy to use.
- Enter the amount you want to convert - this must be a number, eg for 100g enter 100, or for 1/2 enter .5.
- Select the unit to covert from - you can select from grams, US cups, Metric cups, ounces, millilitres or tablespoons.
- Select an ingredient - there is a comprehensive list of ingredients to select from. I will be adding more ingredients periodically. If there is a particular ingredient you want, that isn't in the list, please let me know (you can email me on email@example.com, or just request in the comments on any recipe) and I will add it for you.
The conversions will be displayed in a table below the calculator.
US Cups and Metric cups have been broken down into whole cups and tablespoons.
With the exception of the metric cup measurements, the calculations are based on the US cups. Because there is such a small difference between US and metric cups (10 ml - or 2 teaspoons), it shouldn't make too much difference to your recipe if you use either cup. Just use the same measuring cup for all ingredients.
The calculations for ounces are for weight , not volume. Fluid ounces are not included.
Here are a few standard conversions that you may find useful.
- 1 US cup =16 tablespoons / 240 ml / 0.95 metric cups
- 1 metric cup = 16.6 tablespoons / 250 ml / 1.06 US cups
- 1 teaspoon = 5 millilitres
- 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon = 15 millilitres
- 1 ounce = 2 tablespoons
- 1 pound = 16 ounces
- 1 ounces = 28.35 grams
- 1 gram = 0.035274 ounces
- 2 cups = 1 pint
List of ingredients
Different ingredients have different weights. By volume, 1 cup of sugar is heavier than 1 cup of flour. This has been taken into consideration in the calculations.
I've included the most common ingredients in the dropdown list. If there are any you would like added, just leave me a comment and I'll update the calculator for you.
Calculations have been based on the number of grams in a standard US Cup (240 ml) . The following table shows the grams that I have used for the different ingredients in the calculator.
|120||Self-raising flour / Plain or all purpose flour / cake flour / wholemeal flour / cornflour|
|200||Caster Sugar / Granulated Sugar|
|100||Icing Sugar / Confectioners Sugar|
|340||Maple Syrup / Runny Honey / Golden Syrup / Black Treacle|
|225||Butter / Margarine|
|200||Pearl Barley / Lentils|
|255||Milk / Single Cream / Double Cream / Heavy Cream / Whipping Cream / Half-and-half / Buttermilk|
|210||Popcorn kernels (unpopped)|
|150||Raisins / Sultanas|
I have made every effort to get these measures accurate. If you feel that I have made a mistake, please let me know so that I can correct it.
And if there are any ingredients that you would like adding, I'd be more than happy to do it for you.
Why not save this to Pinterest so you can find it easily. Just click the icon on the image above or click on the Pinterest icon below. You could even just book-mark this page for future reference.